Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sports Day at My Middle School

Remember back in October when I posted about our school festival? Well, another similar school tradition throughout Korea is Sports Day. It's a day where children and adults alike get to let loose and run around a bit. Korean kids are generally restricted to studying and more studying at all hours of the day, so it is nice to see them get a little free time to run around outside (whether or not it is mandatory!)
Back in October, the school festival was a little awkward. I had just arrived and was thrown into this school wide event (and had to sing). The students didn't know me and I didn't know them. This time around, it was a little more fun. I didn't have to sing and I was able to chat with the kids and cheer them on as they participated in the events. I participated in jump rope and a parent/teacher-student relay. I wasn't quite prepared for the relay... and neither were my muscles according to how sore they were the next few days. It was really only one lap so I guess I am a bit out of shape.... AND it was really hot outside, ok?? All I learned is that Korean moms are super competitive and WILL NOT hesitate to use their elbows (keep that in mind next time you race a Korean mom). One of my kids even came up to me today and said, "Teacher, fast." haha I was bombarded with presents of bread, powerade, soda, ice cream, and more all day; the benefit of being older is that you get treated with quite a bit of respect... aka, gimme all of your food!! There was also a dance contest to "Shy Boy" by Secret. Probably my most favorite memory of the day! (Video of the dance contest, plus more pictures if you click "read more")


No comments: