Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving According to Middle School Boys: "I am thankful for..."

This week I am doing Thanksgiving lesson plans in class. I am just going over the basics of how Thanksgiving started and what we do on Thanksgiving in North America (did you know Canada and the Netherlands have Thanksgiving too?? Well I didn't until arriving in Korea/making this lesson plan.) At the end of class, if we have time, I have the students write some things they are thankful for. I have gotten some sweet answers and also some very interesting answers (it's a long list but worth it):

  • I am thankful for you because you teach English me. [Apparently not very well.]
  • I am thankful for my grandfather because he is my best friend and he give me a lot of information, too. [Awwww....]
  • I am thankful for parent because I love parent.
  • I am thankful for game because it's funed me.
  • I am thankful for my wollet when I pay cost, I bring my money from my wollet. My money makes me happy.
  • I am thankful for my friend An su Hyen. Because, my week point is found by Su hyen. [I think he was trying to say his friend makes up for his weaknesses. Aw:)]
  • I am thankful for my video game because it made me pleasure.
  • I am thankful for friends because I don't know.
  • I am thankful for book because my mind is comfortable.
  • I am thankful for Stive Japse because he made Apple computer. [I'm guessing Steve Jobs]
  • I am thankful for sharp pencils because I write words.
  • I am thankful for the Earth because it makes me to live.
  • I'm thankful for glasses because it helps me see more clean.
  • I am thankful for books because it make me sleep. [At least he's honest?]
  • I am thankful for my mom because she has teach my study and she says, "you can play computer games every day" but, I don't play computer games now. -__- [My favorite part was the little face at the end]
  • I am thankful for the dictionaries because it finds all words.
  • I am thankful for Aran because he helps me in the games. [Aran is another student in the class]
  • I am thankful for born because I see many people. [Not sure where this was going...]
  • I am thankful for health because some people are have hard time on his health.
  • I am thankful for my parent because I am born in my mom's stomach. [A lot of them had trouble with "my mom gave birth to me" type sentences]
  • I am thankful for Bill Gates because computer game is very fun.
  • I am thankful for hand because I can pick it up. I am thankful for leg because I can run. I am thankful for eye because it makes me see [Me too... me too.]
  • I am thankful for me because I exist.
  • I am thankful for teacher because when I feel a teen or walking wrong way she helps me that I could walking correct way.
  • I am thankful for the first victory in Starcraft. Victory is always proudful.
  • I am thankful for Park Tae Hwan because he makes Korea popular.
  • I am thankful for my ipod because it gives me happy feelings.
  • I am thankful for food because well.... [No explanation needed.]
  • I am thankful for my friend because he changed my mechanical pencil.
  • I am thankful for me because I don't know but I am thankful for me.
  • I am thankful for ham because I like to eat ham.
  • I am thankful for rice because it make a power.
  • I am thankful for milk because I can be a cheese and I make me tall.
  • I am thankful for brother because he's fun and he's good gamer and he's fat. [Koreans are very blunt.]
  • I am thankful for garbage because they important for nature.
  • I am thankful for woman because they are neccecery. 
  • I am thankful for family because they keep me. [I am happy they didn't throw you away.]
  • ** And of course a lot of students wrote they were thankful for their parents because they raised them/take care of them/love them/give them money.**

And the award for the BEST answer so far this week-

  • I am thankful for Earth's gravity because gravity makes me not fly. [Me too... Although, it would be fun sometimes.]


Happy Thanksgiving everyone :) I am very thankful for my friends, family, great/entertaining students, and this AMAZING experience in Korea!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cait this is amazing! hahahah. Happy thanksgiving!

-Natalie