Monday, December 13, 2010

Thanksgiving in Daegu and One Great Food Weekend

I am so thankful to have a "family" in Korea since I am away from my real family at home. My Thanksgiving weekend started off with a Skype session between my family (mom, dad, sister, cousins, grandparents) and my Friday "A" level first grade class. My school bought a webcam specifically for this purpose and even video taped the class. I introduced my family on a powerpoint and then gave the students a chance to think of 3 questions they would like to ask. It was probably the best experience I have had in the classroom thus far... They were so cute! The students were REALLY excited, as was my family (I think). 
On Friday, we had a burrito night. One of our friends, Jeff, got a package from home with burrito making things (tortillas, taco seasoning) and he was kind enough to share it with us. SO delicious and it made me miss real Mexican food... too bad you can't send Hilbertos and Saritas in the mail. His sister also sent him homemade fudge. Amazing. We then completed the night with a norebang session, makkoli, and beer.
Burrito heaven.
Norebang.
On Saturday, I had a Thanksgiving meal with my Daegu family. A magazine here, Daegu Pockets, offered a Thanksgiving meal set, complete with turkey, gravy, pie, and cranberry sauce. We also all pitched in a side dish or drinks. This made for PLENTY of food and great company (about 20 people in a little apartment).


Pie/Turkey combo
Thanksgiving toast.

The next day, Shelley, Shaun, and I got some breakfast at Coffee and Waffles (one of my favorite waffle places so far). We then headed out to Herb Hillz on a bus. We wandered around the "ecopark" and then took a ropes/ziplining course. We for some reason thought that taking the second hardest course- "King Kong"- was a good idea. NOT so good. It was pretty tough and it was also freezing out. It took us at least an hour to complete the course... rope ladders, zip lining, rope bridges, death defying stunts, a skateboard and bike suspended in the air, and high wire acts. And the only time we ever saw an instructor was at the very beginning when he was giving us safety warnings in Korean. It was completely ridiculous and we were all almost in tears at one point or another, but I am happy I did it... At least we can have a good laugh now

"If you drink this coffee, then your lips will be turned warm
like a you're kissing and you'll falling in love.
Taking on bite of waffle, you're being ever more romantic.
Coffee&Waffle is always be with you."
"Caution!! Excessive drinking of coffee
can bring about uncontrolled urination."
Little did you know....
Getting lost on the way to Herb Hillz.
Climbing over guard rails and through fields.
Story of our lives.
Ohhh so that's what men do in the bathroom
As in, "Merry" Christmas? 
The start of King Kong
Only attached by two ropes.
Ready to go

2 comments:

Michael "Skipper" Donnelly said...

You have nooooo idea how excited your family and extended family were to see you. We all had a great time! Christmas with the class next???

Michael "Skipper" Donnelly said...

I'm ready for King Kong in April!

Love you,

Dad