Wednesday, October 27, 2010

English Speaking Tests

First things first...
I am a California girl through and through. That means I am used to one season and it is summer. Cool, warm, hot, and super hot weather. In the past few days, the weather has dropped at least 20 degrees (F). This week we have highs in the low 60s and lows in the 30s. When I walked to school it was in the high 30s. WOW I'm not used to this weather. Good thing I got paid on Monday... time for some winter shopping! (Meanwhile the Korean girls are still wearing mini skirts and short. Ha!) If you do not hear from me for a long period of time at any point this winter, it probably means I literally froze to death.

Now, more important things...
Last week I was given a rubric for the speaking tests that are being given this week and next week for all grades and all levels. They all are given these 5 questions to prepare for, but only 1 is picked on the actual test day:
1. What do you want to be in the future and why?
2. What do you want for your birthday present and why?
3. What do you think of yourself? Tell us about your strong and weak points.
4. What are good and bad points of watching TV?
5. Do you agree or disagree with corporal punishment in school? Tell us your opinion with your own supporting ideas.

They are scored on-
Accuracy
Fluency
Vocab: Range, Appropriateness
Voice: Audibility, Pronunciation, Stress
Content: Relevance, Supporting Arguments
Time Limit

So first up were my 3rd graders who are all in the highest level English classes. I felt so bad because they all got so nervous to speak to me, but were only required to speak for less than a minute. One by one, students sat down, picked a question, I read it to them. Keep in mind that they all had a week to prepare for this speaking test. A good handful of students looked at me with a blank stare, said "ahhh...uhhh... ahhhh... sorry Teacher," and ran away. Some said a few words before hand, like "I want to be an astronaut." and then ran away. But of course there were the ones that were prepared and I got some very interesting answers.

My 1st grade lowest level students (favorite class!) all did one of two things: sit down, pick a question, I read it, student sits there staring at me/gets up and walks away OR walks over to me and says "sorry Teacher" and walks back into the classroom. I had one shining student that said he wanted a book for his birthday but that was it. 


Here are some of the best/funniest/most random answers I have heard so far... I will update as the week goes on!:


1. What do you want to be in the future and why?
-I want to be an astronaut because I want to go to space. I want to see Saturn even though the rings are space dust, I think it is still cool.
-I want to be a dermatologist because I know what it is like to have pimples and people make fun of you. I want to make kids feel better about themselves. I want to help them before their pimples explode on their faces.
-I want to be a dentist because my dad is a dentist and I want to be like him.
2. What do you want for your birthday present and why?
-I want a cell phone because my mom got angry and broke my cell phone.
-I want to have dinner with my family because my brother is in a different city going to university and I don't see him that much. My family doesn't eat get to eat dinner together that much anymore. (Awww my heart melted!) 
- I want a mechanical pencil because everyone has nice mechanical pencils and they show them off.
3. What do you think of yourself? Tell us about your strong and weak points.
-Last week at the festival, I was a rocker on stage and I think that my personality is like that. Sometimes it gets me in trouble in school because teachers say, "You talk too much!"
- I am selfish and mean. Sometimes I get angry very easily at my friends.
- I am handsome. Weakness is I don't have girlfriend.
4. What are good and bad points of watching TV?
-It is bad for your eyes. (got that one a lot!)
- We need more shows with information, like documentaries, so we can get more knowledge.
5. Do you agree or disagree with corporal punishment in school? Tell us your opinion with your own supporting ideas.
-I disagree because I am bad at school.
- I agree because some students are bad and they need to be punished.
-I disagree because I forget my homework and I get hit.
-I disagree because I don't like the PE teacher and he hits a lot of students. (got that one a lot!)

Me as a fairy/ballerina/princess on Halloween manyyy years ago.
Also, this week is HALLOWEEN week! YAYY! When asked if they know what a vampire is, many respond with "Twilight!" I asked if they knew werewolf and got, "New Moon!! Jacob!! Teacher, do you lovvvve Jacob?!" Other words included are mummy, ghost, zombie, etc. My favorite is when the students know exactly what I am referring to but don't know the words to describe it. So instead I get zombie, ghost, and werewolf noises coming from all sides of the classroom and arms raised in a mummy/zombie like fashion.
Also, I've been playing a clip from The Nightmare Before Christmas movie, the "This is Halloween" song (which, by the way, is a horrible idea. 18 classes throughout the week, played at least 3 times in each class, plus however many times I played it while making the lesson plan.... you do the math.) I first play it, ask what they saw in the clip, and then hand out the lyrics with certain words or phrases missing (depending on the level). I play the clip 2 more times. It is funny because when I look around the room by the third time the clip is played, students are singing to themselves. Maybe it is one of those "you had to be there" moments, but just imagine a bunch of students who are minding their own business, looking at their papers, singing and bobbing their heads. It's funny, I promise. I also heard a kid run past my office yesterday after school singing the song.
And since I have to listen to this song at least 9 times a day, here is the clip for your viewing pleasure :) Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Michael "Skipper" Donnelly said...

Awwww, tha's my baby grrrrl!!! You were, and still are, the apple of my eye and the center of my heart. We miss you at family dinner too Honey!