Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What is your name....?!


To start off, I forgot to say that I have 18 classes a week (soon adding an extra one for exceptional students and one for teachers). I teach 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades- equivalent to 7th, 8th, and 9th grades in the states. Grades 1 & 2 are separated into levels A, B, and C (A being the highest, C being the lowest). Third grade is only A and B. SO, for example, my day today is comprised of these classes: 3rd grade level A, 1st grade level C, and 1st grade level B.

Ok, so with all of that in mind.... at the beginning of all of my classes this week, I asked the students to make name tags so that I can easily see what all of their names are. I gave them the option of keeping their Korean names or picking English names. I am HORRIBLE at pronouncing Korean names. I basically butcher them and the kids all laugh at me. Glad to be their entertainment for the day. For English names, I give them a list of the top English boys names (according to some random website online) just in case they need a little help.  Level B & C students generally write their Korean names or pick an English one from the list. But let me tell you... level A kids are creative. AND I've gotten a few bad words in Korean that I didn't know about until after class. So, my last class of the day I was calling these two kids Gea Sa 1 and Gea Sa 2 meaning "fuck you 1" and "fuck you 2." Good way to start off the school year.

Here is a list of just some of the wonderful names that are out of the ordinary:
Santa Claus Jung
Python
Manchester (as in the soccer team)
Messi (soccer)
Tim, Tam, Tom, Tum, & Tem (a group of 5 boys)
Jessica (yes, I am teaching at an all boys school)
Maria (still teaching at an all boys school)
San & Diego (2 boys)
Banana
Apple 
Free
Kebob
Monkey N Dragon
Goblin
Edward Newgate (anime character)
Mazinga Z (anime character)
Beyonce
Obama*
Hunter**

Update:
Human
A Student 
Cristiano Ronaldo
Jack the Riper
Jason Mraz
Gangster
Juice
Oh, Bama (get it?? haha) 
Ant
Jay Z
Brad Pitt
Spider Monkey
Johnny Depp
Johnson's Johnson (told him that was a no-no)
Candy
Sexy Guy
Josephine
Superman and Batman
Money
Benz (pronounced Benzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) 
Up and Down (2 boys)
Johnson and Dick (ok I let that one slide. at least they are both real names right?)
 

*We have been doing phone conversations in both grades but grade 1 is focused on making plans. I have been demonstrating a dialog in front of the class and have been "calling" students to make plans. It is weird role-playing and calling "Obama" to ask if he can go see a movie on Monday with me.

**Hunter is on my names list as one of the top names in America. I don't think my students (usually level A & B, some C students) believe this is a real name. They think it is the funniest name due to its actual definition. I'm pretty sure there is a Hunter in almost every class. Grade 1, level A students are given the task of making plans with their classmates. A couple of the classes have gone something like this:
Me: Please share what plans you have on Tuesday.
A student: I am hunting animals with Hunter on Tuesday. *whole class burst into laughter*

Everyone keeps saying not to smile on the first day of classes because it establishes authority and whatever blah blah blah. I can't help it... some of my classes are so funny. Especially the older and more advanced levels. They can actually express themselves in English to make jokes. I must look ridiculous because I'm always trying to keep a straight face. I'm sure the lower levels are funny too but they have no idea what is going on in English and can mostly only express themselves accurately in Korean.

No comments: